As Beth G. has intelligently pointed out this week – a website is different than a webpage. So my design assignment, posted here, is simply that – a webpage with the nascent hint of a website. View it first here. I used the original Digital Portfolio navigation to get to the final project, and then changed the navigation to better suit the “new” site. I tried to keep the design as simple as possible, without overdoing it (since this is a national history sort of site). I’m not wed to the font – still searching for something a bit thinner and more “stately”. And I’m still trying to figure out how to change the color of the font. All of my research and tools, and I haven’t been able to fix it. Perhaps someone in class might be able to help? But all in all, it’s a start.
As suggested by Professor Petrik, I am going with something “new” (so you will see no women in the military!) and I hope you enjoy this very different sort of topic. This was also a research paper for a former class, but I am planning to make it applicable to use on a website by changing some of the format and focus. After all, this is supposed to be a digital history website, not a research paper pasted into HTML. That would be terribly boring.
Beth G. and Kirk both paused for a moment to reflect. Since plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery, I will pause for a moment as well. With all the challenges this semester has brought, I was admittedly pleased to find myself able to construct a basic webpage this week without tearing my hair out. I was even more pleased that I was able to manipulate (even if it was in minuscule amounts) the CSS to change the navigation, move things around and attempt to make the page look cleaner. It’s absolutely gratifying NOT to have an entire page crash just because I attempt to change the line-spacing. I am working on another site for a different class, and was even more pleased to see that I could confidently go into Omeka, click on the “HTML” button, and insert some of my own code! I felt like a real (almost) website builder!
So, thank you to Clio II for giving me these tools. As with all things really worth having, none of it was easy. And the journey is not over yet, but I am glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel and that the journey proved fruitful after all.
This week I posted on Beth G’sblog.